The Pharmacy Department at St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital is a valuable member of the health care team. Their goal is to ensure safe and effective medication therapy and optimal patient outcomes. Our responsibilities include medication preparation and distribution, medication monitoring, and provision of information for patients and their families.
The Role of Pharmacy Services
Pharmacists play an integral role in patient and family education by educating the patient, as appropriate, about the following:
- Specific medications
- The need to take medications as ordered
- Ways to help improve patient compliance
- The identity of the medication and how it works
- Intended benefits of the medication
- How and when to administer the medication
- Side effects to expect and ways to deal with these side effects
- Precautions to take
- Possible drug interactions
- Storage requirements
St. Anthony Shawnee Hospital is on the cutting edge in pharmacy technology. Our automated drug distribution systems include PYXIS Rx Medstations, TPN compounding and unit dose prepackaging to keep our operations at peak efficiency. Our staff of pharmacists and technicians work closely with physicians and other health care professionals, to provide our patients with optimal drug therapy.